Trench Plate Rental Company has an exciting opportunity for a General Manager for our San Antonio, TX. Branch.
This is a new location and we expect it to be a very busy branch that will take a great deal of dedication. It won't be unusual to be on site six days per week. To thrive, you'll be a GM who is highly dedicated to the success of the site. You will need outstanding leadership ability and interpersonal finesse to build internal and external relationships and earn credibility the team and customer base.
Summary: This fast-paced, multifaceted role requires a leader who's able to leverage a wide range of talents, including operational know-how to oversee everything from staff performance to equipment inventory to the P&L, along with strong sales skills. As a General Manager, your mission will be to proactively manage the business to drive profitable growth. You will leverage your strategic planning and execution skills to operationally support increased sales. Co-reporting to the Senior Vice President of Operations and the Senior Vice President of Sales, you will be responsible for a team of approximately 12 employees, including Sales, Operations, Customer Service and Yard personnel. You will be accountable for the organization, staffing, direction, and overall control of profitability and safe work practices. Most business is in the greater San Antonio area, but the branch also covers other parts of the state of Texas.
Essential job responsibilities:
- Comply with all company and government regulatory programs that pertain to our business
- Develop and manage the branch budget
- Work closely with the Operations Manager regarding the staff and day-to-day operations
- Work closely with HR to recruit, hire, and train staff, and actively engage in staff development, team building, discipline and rewards
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained, repaired, and ready to rent, and that proper tracking and documentation (service schedules, inspections, repairs, etc.)
- Serve as branch Safety Supervisor handling all initial safety investigations
- Purchase supplies, parts, and outsourced repairs and maintenance; sign and approve POs
- Schedule work for drivers when not dispatched, as well as for other employees
- Complete accurate rental product inventory counts, report counts and arrange for the return of damaged equipment and products
- Review logistics and workflow for the branch, coordinating with other branches to maintain and share inventory as customer needs warrant
- Create and execute a branch operations and sales plan to meet and exceed yearly goals
- Invest about 50% of your time supporting sales; accompany the Sales Representatives on client visits occasionally, helping close deals
- Work directly with key clients, building relationships and selling/up-selling
- Leverage your strategic planning and execution skills to actively increase sales
- Coordinate with the sales staff to ensure that what was promised is delivered
- Approve customer quotes, bids, and special pricing through senior management
- Maintain good customer relations with contractors and suppliers; make occasional visits to work sites to introduce products and services
- Occasional overnight travel as needed
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, perform repetitive physical work, reach with hands and arms, talk, hear, walk, stand for periods of time, sit, kneel, stoop, crouch, frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds. Visual abilities include; close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Work in unprotected weather elements, able to wear hard toed shoes, and other required personal protective equipment.
Qualifications: To be a strong fit for the role of General Manager, you will have proven ability and a history of success in operations, logistics and sales, and the ability to thrive in a brand-new, fast-paced branch operation. More specifically, you will have:
- 5-10+ years of management experience in operations and sales
- Substantial experience in the construction equipment rental and/or sales industry (heavy construction, excavation equipment or similar)
- Past P&L responsibility of $5 million or greater
- Strategic vision and tactical execution skills
- Logistics experience in dynamic operations (changing priorities, stock, routes) and an understanding of yard operations
- A strong understanding of the local markets and the ability to stay up-to-date with market trends and changes
- Proven success in operations, sales and sales management
- The skill to maximize financial growth through thoughtful operations processes, spending frugality, and employee development
- Computer savvy including proficiency with MS Office Suite applications, (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint); Salesforce or other CRM experience is a plus
- Must live near the greater San Antonio metro area (the ideal candidate will live within 30 minutes of the San Antonio area)
- Must be willing to travel on occasion
- A bachelor's degree is preferred
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish are a plus
Competencies and characteristics:
- Strong leadership qualities, including a dynamic personality and the skill to build and motivate strong teams
- Self-motivation and a personal drive for success
- Strong attention to detail
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution abilities
- A dedication to safety
Why work at TPRCO: We offer a competitive salary and Comprehensive and generous benefit package.
- Excellent medical, dental, vision discount plan.
- 401k plan.
- Profit sharing plan.
- Heath Care flexible spending account
- Basic and Voluntary life insurance
- 8 Paid holidays
- Paid Birthday and Anniversary Holiday
About us: Trench Plate Rental Co. (TPR) is a multi-state construction rental corporation with over 35 years of excellent performance. We offer Trench Plates, Steel Trench Boxes, Aluminum Shoring and many other items associated with Excavation Shoring. We have locations in California, Nevada, Texas, Illinois and Florida, and our Corporate Offices are in Downey, California.
Job Type: Full-time non-exempt
Trench Plate Rental Company is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.